'Racers Reunion/Championship Night' wraps up 2015 weekly NASCAR racing at Kingsport Speedway on Friday, Aug. 28
By Robert Walden
Kingsport Speedway - Media/Public Relations
KINGSPORT, Tenn. — The 2015 racing season marks the 50th year since Kingsport Speedway opened, and the track is inviting racers who are part of the speedway's history to be in attendance for Racers Reunion/Championship Night at the Races on Friday, Aug. 28.
Highlighting the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series racing program will be the "First Kingsport Credit Union" Late Model Stock Cars running 75 laps paying $1,250-to-win, along with Street Stock, Pure 4, Pure Street, Mod 4, Rookie Pure 4, and Legend action at the .375-mile banked concrete oval on a night when point champions will be crowned. There will also be a Kids Club Power Wheel Race.
Ronnie McCarty of Kingsport is poised to capture his first-ever NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stock Car championship at "The Concrete Jungle," as he holds a commanding 46-point lead over his closest challenger Wayne Hale of Bluff City. Third through fifth, respectively in points are Justin Fontaine of Fletcher, N.C., Kres VanDyke of Abingdon, Va., and Zeke Shell of Johnson City.
John Harrell of Surgoinsville has been a dominating force this season in the Street Stock division, having captured 11 feature wins to enter the finale holding a nine-point advantage over Jared Broadbent of Bakersville, N.C. Broadbent has recorded three feature wins to go along with six runner-up finishes. Third through fifth, respectively in points are Royce Peters of Kingsport, Paul Shull of Church Hill and Dennis Deese of Piney Flats.
Jason Ketron of Kingsport stands atop the Pure 4 point standings, with Nasty Jones of Chilhowie, Va., leading Pure Street, Dennis Arnold of Meadowview, Va., on top in Mod 4, while Dwayne Banks of Kingsport leads Rookie Pure 4, with Trey Lane of Kingsport leading Legend points.
The pit gate opens Friday, Aug. 28 at 12:30 p.m. with early practice scheduled between noon and 4:30 p.m. at $50 per car, while the grandstands and tier-parking gates opening at 5:30 p.m.
Practice is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m., to be followed by qualifying at 7 p.m. Legend racing (12 minutes or 12 laps) will begin at 7:45 p.m., followed by the invocation and national anthem at 8 p.m. before green flag waves over the remainder of the night's racing activities.
Adult grandstand admission $10, with kids 12-and-under admitted free. Adult tier-parking admission $10 per person (plus a $10 vehicle parking spot fee). Pit passes are $25 with a NASCAR license, $35 without a license.
Kingsport Speedway is located at 2961 North John B. Dennis Highway. For more information, call the office at (423) 288-5992, track general manager and promoter Karen Tunnell at (276) 393-9594, follow on Twitter @KPSpeedway, or visit the website at www.NewKingsportSpeedway.com.
*** NOTE: Open practice is scheduled at Kingsport Speedway on Thursday, Aug. 27 from 3 p.m. until dark.
KINGSPORT SPEEDWAY DIVISIONAL POINT STANDINGS HEADING INTO FRIDAY, AUGUST 28, 2015
Showing Points Position, Driver Name, Car Number, Hometown, Points, Wins In Parentheses
"FIRST KINGSPORT CREDIT UNION" LATE MODEL STOCK CAR
1. Ronnie McCarty #5-Kingsport, TN - 555 (6 Wins)
2. Wayne Hale #19-Bluff City, TN - 509 (1 Win)
3. Justin Fontaine #60-Fletcher, NC - 494 (1 Win)
4. Kres VanDyke #15-Abingdon, VA - 484 (7 Wins)
5. Zeke Shell #97-Johnson City, TN - 482 (2 Wins)
6. Joey Trent #26-Gray, TN - 439
7. Allen Hawkins #14-Kingsport, TN - 421
8. Rick Pannell #33-Kingsport, TN - 406
9. Lee Tissot #7-Asheville, NC - 375 (1 Win)
10. Tyler Goodwin #64-Kingsport, TN - 358
Chad Finchum #19-Knoxville, TN (1 Win)
Kyle Barnes #15-Draper, VA (1 Win)
1. John Harrell #19-Surgoinsville, TN - 463 (11 Wins)
2. Jared Broadbent #74-Bakersville, NC - 454 (3 Wins)
3. Royce Peters #48-Kingsport, TN - 419
4. Paul Shull #48-Church Hill, TN - 386 (1 Win)
5. Dennis Deese #24-Piney Flats, TN - 383
Alan Rich #03-Sylva, NC (1 Win)
1. Jason Ketron #28-Kingsport, TN - 458 (1 Win)
2. Tim Abelseth #66-Bristol, TN - 420 (3 Wins)
3. Billy Byington #01-Kingsport, TN - 420 (2 Wins)
4. Kenny Absher #11-Kingsport, TN - 420 (1 Win)
5. Billy Ketron #26-Kingsport, TN - 407 (2 Wins)
Keith Helton #74-Kingsport, TN (4 Wins)
John Ketron #27-Kingsport, TN (2 Wins)
Dylan Bates #6-Kingsport, TN (1 Win)
Chris Neeley #94-Kingsport, TN (1 Win)
1. Nasty Jones #13-Chilhowie,VA - 316 (3 Wins)
2. Marty Tunnell #99-Wise, VA - 259 (5 Wins)
3. Hershell Robinette #9-Abingdon, VA - 244
4. Gary Crumbley #59-Kingsport, TN - 206
5. Travis Stoots #0-Chilhowie, VA - 171
Duke Bare #52-Meadowview, VA (2 Wins)
Robbie Allison #52-Mooresville, NC (1 Win)
Brad Ball #60-Abingdon, VA (1 Win)
1. Dennis Arnold #7-Meadowview, VA - 290
2. Billy Duty #45-Abingdon, VA - 287 (2 Wins)
3. Chris Amburgey #7-Hiltons, VA - 287 (1 Win)
4. Jessie Amburgey #17-Hiltons, VA - 266
5. James Deese #25-Elizabehton, TN - 248
Kirby Gobble #77-Abingdon, VA (5 Wins)
Rocky Yates #3-Abingdon, VA (2 Wins)
Joshua Gobble #88-Abingdon, VA (1 Win)
ROOKIE PURE 4
1. Dwayne Banks #4-Kingsport, TN - 430 (3 Wins)
2. William Hale #47-Kingsport, TN - 395 (2 Wins)
3. Craig Phelps #00-Kingsport, TN - 381 (1 Win)
4. Larry Stapleton #15-Kingsport, TN - 367
5. Dennis Stanley #21-Blountville, TN - 354 (1 Win)
Chris Wilhelm #99-Fall Branch, TN (4 Wins)
Ben Barker #54-Bluff City, TN (3 Wins)
Phillip Thompson #33-Knoxville, TN (1 Win)
1. Trey Lane #9-Kingsport, TN - 205 (5 Wins)
2. Hannah Ottinger #97-Rogersville, TN - 195 (1 Win)
3. Alexcia Ray #99-Jonesborough, TN - 186
4. Les Ottinger #94-Rogersville, TN - 164
5. Derek Lane #19-Kingsport, TN - 117 (1 Win)
2961 North John B. Dennis Highway
Office: (423) 288-5992
Karen Tunnell - General Manager/Promoter: (276) 393-9594